Also known as commercial auto insurance, business vehicle insurance is a type of insurance coverage that ensures the cars, trucks, and vans that you use to conduct your business are properly protected. Any business, from small businesses to large fleets, should have a commercial auto insurance policy.

This type of policy covers physical damage and liability coverages for amounts, usage and situations that are not covered by a personal auto insurance policy. Many types of commercial vehicles can be covered, such as:

  • Company cars
  • Pickup trucks
  • Commercial trucks
  • Limousines
  • Buses
  • Box trucks
  • Food trucks
  • Work vans
  • Utility trucks

Commercial auto insurance policies typically include coverage for employees who will be operating the vehicle and the equipment inside it. Basically any vehicle that is used for business purposes can be covered under this insurance.

Why Do You Need It?

Certain business usage and types of vehicles could be excluded from personal auto insurance policies. That’s because personal auto policies are not designed for businesses, which is why they are written and rated in different ways. Basically, you need commercial auto insurance for protection when you own a business and have cars that are used to conduct said business.

Commercial vehicle insurance, just like your personal auto policy, gives you similar coverages such as collision, liability, comprehensive, personal injury protection and uninsured motorist coverage. There could also be differences between a business auto insurance policy and your personal auto policy that range from eligibility and definitions to coverages, limits and exclusions.


  • Bodily injury liability coverage: This covers bodily injury or death that results from an accident where you are at fault; it will also provide you with a legal defense in most cases.
  • Property damage liability coverage: Protects you if your vehicle damages another person's property by accident, providing you with a legal defense in most cases.
  • Combined single limit (CSL): Liability policies offer separate limits applying to bodily injury claims as regards property damage. A combined single limits policy features the same dollar amount of coverage per occurrence, whether property damage or bodily injury, for one person or many.
  • Medical payments, no-fault or personal injury coverage: Covers the medical bills of the driver and vehicle passengers as a result of an accident, no matter who was at fault.
  • Uninsured motorist coverage: Covers your injuries and certain types of property damage caused by a hit-and-run or uninsured driver.
  • Comprehensive physical damage coverage: Covers damage to your vehicle due to vandalism, theft, flood, fire, and more.
  • Collision coverage: Covers damage to your vehicle when it has been hit by another car or object.

If you have questions about whether or not you need business vehicle insurance, or you’re not sure how much coverage you need, get in touch with your trusted insurance provider.

Contact Bearce Insurance for Business Insurance

Contact us locally at 508-586-3400 or toll-free at 800-498-9900, or get a convenient online quote, to learn more about our commercial vehicle insurance.